I thought I would share some tips on how I care for my soul, and hopefully these tips will help you as well.
1. I take some time to self-assess. I do a regular checking in with myself and ask those hard questions that are important to my wellbeing. In my Reflection booklet, there’s a segment that ask the reader to answer the question: How did I get here? That’s an important question for me to sort through and answer because it will reveal hidden or secrets thoughts, emotions, feelings, patterns, appetites, or actions that have led me to the very place that I find myself in. If you've read some of my blogs you are probably familiar with the phrase, “Your success lies in your daily habits.” It’s those daily habits that I have to check in on because they will either make or break me in terms of my health and wellness journey. My health and wellness journey is more than about food. It’s more than about weight loss or eating healthy. I have to look at the bigger picture which is about removing hindrances and distractions from my life that are not productive for me or, are not good for my spiritual growth or maturity. So I find that I have to check in on that on a daily basis to make sure my walk with God is intact first. If that’s intact, then my choices or decisions are healthier.
2. I try to keep my word to myself. I try to walk in integrity with myself. I tell myself what I would or would not do. I set limits or boundaries when it comes to my lifestyle goals and then I attempt to follow through. Sometimes I make it and sometimes I don’t which leads me to my next tip.
3. I have learned to forgive myself, but it has to be an authentic forgiveness. Not a lip service forgiveness just to get me through the moment, which means I don’t really want to effect a change. I just want to get over the guilt feeling because I have every intention of doing it again. My authentic forgiveness says, “I really messed up but I don’t want this to happen again.” I forgive myself because I can’t receive from God feeling condemned (Ro. 8:1). I can’t move forward feeling condemned because all of my emotions are tied up in feeling condemned and it leaves no room for thoughts of correction. I ask God to forgive me and He quickly forgives me (1 John 1:9 KJV). So I’ve learned not to hang onto guilt and condemnation but to let it go, shake it off as though it never happened. The only reason that I might want to remember it loosely is so that I don’t repeat it. I just take a mental note. Good soul care for me is shaking off yesterday with its mistakes and shortcomings and move forward the next day determined to keep my word to myself and to follow God’s leading which leads me to my next tip.
4. I become intentional in my pursuit of God by spending more time in prayer, praise and worship, and reading the word of God which brings truth, thus balance to my soul. God’s word brings all things back in balance for me spiritually, and when I can get a handle on it spiritually by meditating on God’s word and being in His presence, then I am strengthen to move forward with my goals or plans. You will be amazed at what being in God’s presence can do for your soul. It keeps all things in balance and in check. There’s a bible verse that says, “In His presence is fullness of joy and at His right hand are pleasures for evermore" (Ps. 16:11). The first part of that bible verse is, “You will show me the path of life.” “It’s not only a path that leads to life, but a path where life will be found.” There’s many paths out there that claim to take us to the path of life, but I caution you to be aware of those other paths that promises life. It’s His path of life that I follow and if I obey, I am never disappointed. If I don’t obey, I’m still never disappointed in Him, only in myself because I didn’t follow His lead. Even then He makes a way of escape or causes me to be successful (1 Corinth. 10:13 KJV). You can’t lose with that kind of support.
5. I care for my soul (mind, will, emotions, intellect and imagination), by believing what has been revealed to me, personally, from the word of God. It would have been very difficult living through this pandemic and not be overcome by the fear and dread that was and still is, to some degree, upon the land. But when I remember what God personally revealed to me from His word, then I am encouraged. I can’t say this enough. I care for my soul by living by what has been revealed to me from God’s word. Mountains can fall, the sea can pass away but the word of God will never fail (Matt. 24:35 KJV). If He said it, He will do it. His saying and His doing are the same. There’s no difference. When I know, that I know, that I know, that if He revealed it to me, then it’s mine for the keeping. To embrace. I don’t let that go. The Holy Spirit help me to stand firm on His promises to me. His revelation brings peace to my soul. This, I think, is the ultimate soul care for me. I heard someone say, “There’s something to be said about knowing that it’s in the book! (In the word of God) and that is so true for me. It gives me assurance.
6. Last but not least, I keep my vision for my life before me on a daily basis. By now, my vision is so ingrained in my being that it has become a part of me. It’s who I am. It’s my default, but initially, I kept my vision before me on a daily basis and read it out loud (faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Ro. 10:17). I read it out loud because I needed to hear it. As I heard my vision with my own ears, I began to believe it. When you believe it, you can see it. If you see it, you can achieve it. It’s my vision for my personal life as well as my vision for my spiritual life. With the vision for my spiritual life, I do the same thing, I keep His word (my spiritual vision) before me on a daily basis so I don’t lose my way and so that I can have good success.
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Jos. 1:8
The above list of how I care for my soul is not exhaustive. There’s so much more that can be said but I hope these can be of some help. If you need further help, I encourage you to check out the many resources on my website that will help you to get to your healthy place as you submit all things to Christ. My book, More Than a Conqueror is a great resource to help you in terms of caring for your soul as well as the bible scriptures that helped me to move forward. The bible scriptures are available as a free download on my website.
I would love to hear your thoughts or comments. I would love to hear your story so I can share it to inspire others!
Helping you to discard your past so you can embrace your future,
Changing Mindsets, Changing Lives
Check out all the resources on the website which are designed to help you to get to your healthy place as you learn how to submit all things to Christ.
Don’t forget to share my website with others who you know need to develop a healthy relationship, either with food or getting free from whatever that thing is that has them bound. www.healthylivingwithannie.com